F&W U11 Whites 3 1 Holbrook Hornets

The U11 Whites returned to Dellwood Avenue for the first time this season looking to build on last week's impressive away performance.

The squad was back to full strength with Henry returning having broken his wrist in pre-season, and Charlie who missed out last week due to illness. In very wet conditions, it was the visitors who began the game stronger, enjoying more possession and forcing a couple of early corners. The defence however dealt with this pressure well, and as the half wore on the boys began to take control of the game, using Marcio's pace and power as an outlet down the right, and working the ball well between midfield and attack down the left and through the middle.

By this point the boys were dominating proceedings and were soon rewarded for their efforts. An impressive passage of play saw the ball fall to Harley on the edge of the box, who threaded a lovely ball through for Henry to run on to and finish neatly in the bottom corner. As the half drew to a close the game evened up some what, with Holbrook coming back in to proceedings, but without carving out many clear cut chances.

At half time we talked about the need to press and really take the game to the opposition from the word go, and this is exactly what the boys did, going on the front foot immediately and forcing two early corners. It was developing in to a exciting encounter, with a strong Hornets side looking to get back on level terms. This however left space for the Seasiders to exploit, and they soon found themselves further in front, with Henry using his pace, power and skill to beat several players before once again slotting home low in to the corner of the net. At this point it looked as though the game was wrapped up, with the defence holding firm and our goal rarely being threatened. Unfortunately a lapse in concentration from the Whites allowed the visitors to pull a goal back, with Holbrook's number 10 finishing well.

The match looked set for a nervy final 10 minutes, however rather than getting disheartened the goal seemed to bring the boys back to life, and they immediately went on the offensive. With 5 minutes remaining the Whites restored their two goal cushion, Henry now turning provider, going on another blistering run before threading the ball through to Ross, who finished with aplomb. There was a scare in the closing minutes when the visitors tried their luck from distance, however Ollie T was at hand to guide the ball away from the home goal, maintaining great concentration in a game where he had seldom been tested up to that point.

The final whistle was greeted by warm applause for what was a thoroughly deserved result against decent opponents. There were strong performances all over the park. The defence was solid, with Marcio in particular dominating the opposition and causing havoc with his bursts forward. In midfield we used the ball well, with our passing game continuing to improve, and the boys always looked threatening in attack.

All 12 lads played their part today, and should be proud of their efforts. Man of the match went to Henry: 2 goals, an assist, together with non-stop running and commitment. Not half bad for a player returning from 3 weeks out.

A great start to the home campaign Whites, keep up the good work!


MOTM: Henry Old