Champion Of Champions 2016



I think it’s fair to say that pretty much all youngsters playing football have a dream of one day playing in the Premiership and ultimately appearing at their national stadium in the colours of the national team representing their country!

It’s a dream that only a tiny, tiny fraction of young players ever achieve but they are right to dream, who knows one day…

The clubs Under 14 side (2015/16) coached by Martin Smedley have a achieved much in their short football life to date and were pretty much invincible in their early years, but as they have grown, so have other sides and now it’s not quite so easy for them, it is now down to hard work and  dedication linked with ability, and to their credit they have proved to be the country’s best at their age group having had that hard work, dedication and ability fully tested against their peers who I’m sure were equally dedicated and willing to work hard to show their ability.

Having won their regional competition at Bognor Regis earlier in the summer to be crowned champions they were invited to St George’s Park, home of the England National teams to compete for the Champion of Champions 2016 title.

Ian Watson the clubs Assistant Manager of the first team travelled with the party for the weekend and takes up the story

“What a fantastic experience for Martin Smedley's Under 14's at the ESF National Grand Finale staged at St. George's Park, Burton-on-Trent. The boys were able to use and see the facilities at England's training ground, which is amazing.

Six area winners were there to compete in a League Format finale from originally 80 teams who entered nationally. This was the second year the boys have competed at this stage and having won last year the lads emulated that success again, winning the tournament in some style.

The format was a straight league fixture with all six sides competing against each other with the top side being crowned Champion of Champions!

The boys record… Played 5, Won 5, Goals For 10, Goals against 1.

Two Welsh sides made it to the final to coincide with their National Teams Euros journey, one of them based in Cardiff with a far larger selection of players to choose from than the Seasiders.

Toughest test was against South Peterborough FC, which was made up of a number of Academy players from that area, winning a very competetive and physical game 1-0. Jake Preston was top goalscorer overall with 5 goals on the day.

England under 19's were training at the ground whilst the boys were there, along with the Nike Academy boys. The boys played on two variations of 3G pitches, inside and outside, the indoor area being a large full size pitch, the outdoor pitch a lot smaller so the lads had to adjust their games. Overall a great further experience for the under 14's and yet another trophy brought home.

We might suggest a large trophy cabinet for these boys alone is required in the new clubhouse! A big thanks to all the parents that took the boys to stay overnight in Burton-on-Trent and those that travelled up on the day., a great experience for us all!”

Indeed a great experience and with so much going on at the club presently, new clubhouse on the horizon, Real Madrid Soccer School coming to The Goldstar Ground in August, this achievement certainly helps to push the name of Felixstowe & Walton United to the forefront of the news!


  Bognor Regis May 2016

The ESF Festival of Football is the biggest youth football festival in the UK, it is a series of professionally organised tournaments that brings teams of all abilities together for a fantastic weekend of football and fun. Over 1,000 teams participate annually at various venues up and down the country and 2016 saw The Seasiders send four of the clubs sides to the May Bank Holiday Festival and Butlins Holiday Camp, Bognor Regis.


The Under 14’s set out to defend their title as Champions from 2015 and once again faced tough challenges but as in 2015 they came through to win their League. This is their story!

Day One

Seasiders  3 – 1 Chichester

The seasiders started in fine fashion, working hard with crisp passing and possession football, Joe hunt scored first from a fine corner routine and then doubled the lead lobbing the keeper from long range. In what seemed one way traffic in the first half James Sorrell made it three after a powerful run slotting under the advancing keeper.

It appeared ‘operation shock and awe’ in the first half was enough to win the game, However with the boys taking their foot off the gas Chichester did enough to get a consolation goal.

Seasiders 2 – 1 Haldred & Harwell fc

In the second game the fledgling Seasiders again played dominant possession football whilst not allowing the opposition any time on the ball. Felixstowe soon opened the scoring when a cross by Bolt was volleyed in from 18yards by Sorrell.

The second half started with a free kick to the opposition, with what can only be put down as a ‘screamer’ from fully 20yards, with Mazur in goal routed to the spot, this led to an anxious last 15 minutes but with five left to play Archie Mcwilliam, playing after a long term injury, ran onto a long ball from Smedley and rounded the keeper to give us all 3 points. 

Seasiders 1 – 0 Buckhurst Hill

This encounter was always down as our hardest test of the weekend, Buckhurst Hill play in the EJA League (Essex/London).

What can best be described as a 40 minute battle saw us narrowly edge out Buckhurst Hill by the odd goal scored in the latter stages of the game with a header from Hunt.

Day Two

Seasiders 2 – 0 Barnham Trojans

 The game saw the boys start as some of the Parents looked ( Sluggish and off the pace ), however two late goals from Mcwilliam put this encounter to bed.

Seasiders 3 – 1 Harris Academy Falconwood

The team were informed before kick-off that we had already been crowned champions with other results going our way.

So with just pride and finishing unbeaten to play for we came out Victorious with a brace from Jamie Tattersall and James Sorrell.

This win not only saw the under 14’s win the ESF Football Festival at their age group but got them invited to St. Georges Park later in the year for a Champions of Champions tournament.

Big, Big thanks to all the Parents for their support and a big Congratulations to Martin, Phil and all the boys for their hard work over the weekend.


It was an eagerly awaited long weekend for the under 13’s with most making their way down to the ‘other’ seaside resort during Friday with a 12 man squad somewhat depleted with Liam, usually a midfielder, taking over duties in goal. The games were split over the weekend and would see the boys play against opposition from London, Essex, Newport, Berkshire & the Midlands, with the halves 15 minutes each way.

Saturday – 3 Games

Game 1

Leyton Orient Spitfires 0 – 1 Seasiders (Cale Jones)

A steady opening start with Cale striking from close range to seal a deserved win.

Game 2

Seasiders 1-0 Maldon & Tiptree (Colby Schaar)

A solid showing with Colby getting the all-important goal during the second half.

Game 3

Redstar Colts 1-0 Seasiders

The hardest game of the opening day saw a tough game with plenty of tackles and commitment, was always going to be a single goal in it with the Midlands team taking the spoils with a narrow 1-0 win.

Sunday – 2 Group Games & Semi Final

Game 4

Newport Youth 0 – 2 Seasiders (Jamie Taylor & OG)

First up on the Sunday was another tough opponent with the winner likely to go through to the Semi Finals, very strong showing from the lads with a looping shot from Jamie and an own goal sealing an impressive win, they must now avoid defeat in the final group game to progress.

Game 5

Windsor FC 1 – 4 Seasiders (Dylan Fothergill, Colby Schaar x2 & Jordan Moore)

The goals & confidence were up with a dominant performance, long range strikes from Colby (2) & Dylan coupled with a debut goal from Jordan Moore playing a year under set the Seasiders up in fine style to the Semis.

Semi Final

Windsor Raiders 3-2 Seasiders (Connor Moore & Colby Schaar)

The Semi came quickly and a slow start saw the Raiders race into a 3-0 lead with some great finishing but suspect defending from set pieces, the Seasiders battled back with an excellent second half display with a header from Schaar and a power strike from the exceptional Moore, cheered on by the U14’s, the Seasiders ran out of time but a fantastic experience for the all the lads, next year we hope to enter again and this time go that one better and pick up the trophy.


Felixstowe and Walton United under 11

Game 1

Our 1st game of the day started at 10.35am on Saturday against Langley JFC from Kent. A well organised and good footballing team meant a tough evenly matched battle which saw The Seasiders battle out a impressive 2-0 win. Goals coming from Nartey Teye-Botchway and a cool penalty from Harry Taylor.

Game 2

Our second match was against welsh side Bridgend Town FC, unfortunately for The Seasiders too many changes from the coach and a few individual errors saw us lose this game 4-0, but make no mistake about it this was not as one sided as it may appear.

Game 3

Sumner Youth Cobras - With confidence down against good opponents, this was a excellent chance for the boys to show what they where made of and they did not disappoint, however the result did not go our way. The impressive cobras won 2-0 with quite possibly the best goal ! witnessed all weekend.

Now was time for the Mums to step into action taking on the boys in what was the most competitive friendly you will ever see. I’m very pleased I didn’t have to officiate in this one. I think the boys came out on top but honestly have no idea what the final score was.

Game 4

The final one of the day against the hosts from Bognor Predators FC as you can imagine they where very well supported and with a tight looking group that everyone was beating everyone, this proved to be a must win game for both teams. Under immense pressure and feeling fatigued The Seasiders ran out 6-0 victors with a hat-trick from Harry Taylor and further goals from Joshua Burman, Sankaman and I think Jake O’Callaghan.

On to the final day and it was quite simple win both of our games and we qualify as group winners, Let’s Go!

Game 5

Beacon Hill from Essex, both teams needed to win there final games along with every other team in the group, that’s how tight it was! Both teams pressed well and it was ourselves who opened the scoring , Seb Goodhand making up for some shocking misses the day before, and before we knew it 2-0 Teye-Botchway with a great finish, Beacon hill did make it a nervy ending by pulling one back, but we hung on for the 2-1 win.

Game 6

it all came down to winner takes all V Riverhawks from Ilford Essex. A draw would see Beacon hill go through, A close game against a fired up Riverhawks team (not sure slapping a child is appropriate) but both teams played an excellent match with Riverhawks ending up 1-0 victors, even though the boys peppered their goal and even missed a penalty.

All in all a great weekend had by all making memories that will never be forgotten. A Big shout out to birthday boy Harry Taylor who celebrated his 11th birthday on the Sunday (can’t think of a more fun way then playing footy with friends and family all weekend. The whole event was made that much more enjoyable by having four teams there this year and hopefully in the future more will follow.


Felixstowe & Walton United Under 10

Felixstowe and Walton took nine players to the under 10 tournament in Bognor Regis. Twenty-eight teams entered that were placed into four groups of seven, with the top two from each group making it through to the knockout stages. It was 7-a-side and eight minutes per half.

The boys’ first game ended in a 1-1 draw, a reasonable start against reasonable opposition. At the end of the game Anton congratulated our lads, whilst also telling them that further draws would not be enough to see them through to the latter stages of the weekend. These wise words were obviously heeded, as the next game they won 2-1 and followed this up with a further victory; this time 1-0. Three games down, three to play and sat on seven points. The final game of the day ended in a 0-0 draw so things were looking good at the end of the first day.

On the second day the lads had two further league games to play and having looked at the table, it was almost certain that a win and draw would see them through to the knockout phase. The first game started and disappointingly the opposition scored after some poor marking from a free-kick. Not to be out-down, the boys knuckled and soon equalised. After that goal, chances were few and far between and the game ended a draw.

As predicted by Mystic Meg, after all the results were updated it was known that the boys needed a win from their final game to progress. The players were really up for this match and had a couple of half-chances early on whilst restricting the opposition to long-ball football that rarely threatened. We hit the post, had chances go just wide of post, but try as we might the ball just wouldn’t go in and the game ended goalless.

With all matches played and the tables up to date, F&W could see that although remaining unbeaten they had finished in third position. Just a point below second place and two below top. Fine margins, but that’s football. All-in-all the side enjoyed a good tournament and will undoubtedly return next year hoping to get through to the knockout phase….and more. Congratulations to the team, the parents and the coaches for what was a fantastic weekend of entertainment.  




Did you Go?

Do you have any pics from the tournament you would like displayed on this page?


e-mail - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.