Seasiders 0 Wroxham 1

Thurlow Nunn League

Premier Division

Saturday 27th January 2018












Taking nothing away from Wroxham, who, on the day, deserved to take all three points with a spirited performance and of course the only goal of the game, and if you score more goals than the opposition, you deserve to win!

They have certainly got themselves organised under new manager Jamie Godbold, who took over the reins at the beginning of the month, having been in charge of AFC Sudbury until his sudden dismissal and looking from the outside, whatever AFC Sudbury’s loss was – if it was a loss! – it was certainly the Yachtsmen’s gain.

It was one of those cold, wet, horrible Saturday’s so big credit to the 304 hardy supporters who turned out on a day when the sofa must have been calling!

From a Seasiders point of view it was a frustrating 90 minutes, with plenty of chances created, but none taken, especially in the second half when Wroxham were reduced to ten men following the sending off of their captain Tom Matthews for a second bookable offence. Referee Adrian Sannerude had his card out eight times, four for each side including the two for Matthews, but it wasn’t a particularly physical game, and as someone noted in conversation 10/15 years ago at least three of the bookings were for tackles that would have been considered the norm, one of the cards was for Danny Crump collecting the ball outside the area, which was an odd one, flagged by Assistant Referee Lewis Venables when Crump scooped the ball up under no real pressure. Inside/outside it was a marginal decision that left the referee little option.

Another three of the bookings came after a handbags at ten paces melee following a late challenge on Dan Davis, although Davis stayed well clear of the aftermath that ended with three of the yellow cards being shown.

Report by Chris Ryan - Pictures Stan Baston

Wroxham substitute Craig Bussens came off the bench to score the game’s only goal with ten minutes left, and end the Seasiders’ unbeaten home record. New Wroxham boss, Jamie Godbold, who took charge of the Yachtsmen earlier this month, saw his side hold on to claim all three points with ten men after Tom Matthews had picked up two yellow cards late in the first half. 

Referee Adrian Sannerude produced seven yellow cards, two of them shown to Wroxham's Tom Matthews, in a first half which saw both sides create openings without either keeper seriously tested.

Wroxham stretched the home defence with a quick and accurate passing game, with Payton Swatman influential in their build up play and Dan Davis produced a timely tackle in the home area to deny Swatman a strike on goal. Danny Crump was well behind a shot from Matthews, and palmed Connor Ingram's free kick over the home bar as Wroxham threatened, with McRae in the visitors’ goal saving from Kye Ruel before Matthews received his marching orders five minutes before the half time whistle.

Ingram saw his curling free kick go narrowly wide of Felixstowe's far post after Crump was adjudged to have handled outside his area, and Smith had a goal bound effort blocked by Jamal Wiggins at the expense of a corner before the home side looked to make their extra man advantage tell.

Swatman twice made goal-line clearances to deny Chaplin and Bennett, with Powell, Ford and Ruel all seeing goal bound shots blocked by a determined and well organised Wroxham defence.



With fifteen minutes remaining, a double substitution saw Bond and Bussens introduced, with Bussens making the decisive impact just two minutes later, breaking quickly after a Felixstowe attack broke down, Swatman and Ingram linking well on the right to deliver the ball to the far post for Bussens to score with virtually his first touch on 79 minutes.

The home side pressed for a reply, with goalkeeper Crump up for the final corner of the game culminating in Sam Ford firing wide and Wroxham holding on for the win.